how to get an exam copy:
why you should order a desk copy of the better world handbook:
Do your students ever say, "Your class taught me about the world's problems, but what can I DO about them?"
The Better World Handbook is the perfect book for any class that teaches students to analyze social issues. The book is for busy people who care about making the world a better place but don't know where to begin. The actions offer students empowering options to make a difference, and the many resources provide ample opportunities to learn more. The BWH is a great supplement for classes that teach students about social problems, social issues, social movements, peace and conflict studies, stratification, and environmental sociology.
The BWH offers students:
- A discussion of the Cycle of Cynicism and the traps that stops us from taking action, and the Cycle of Hope that we can choose to live in.
- A vision of a more just and sustainable world based upon seven foundations, including Economic Fairness, Comprehensive Peace, Ecological Sustainabilty, Deep Democracy, Social Justice, Culture Of Simplicity, and Revitalized Community. The Foundations chapter includes a concise summary of the major problems facing the United States and the world, such as economic and social inequality, environmental degradation, war, lack of community, and lack of effective democracy.
- Thirteen chapters full of effective actions that empower students to address the world's problems rather than simply learn about them.
- Internet and print resources in every chapter to guide students who wish to learn more about any given topic.
Our goal is to make it easy for the reader to turn good intentions into actions that will make a difference across a broad range the world's social problems. We focus on solutions and keep the tone of the book positive and empowering.
how to order a free desk copy
If you teach a class or supervise an educational program for which The Better World Handbook would work, you can get a free academic examination copy by faxing on school letterhead to New Society Publishers, 800-567-7311 or call 800-567-6772.
If you don't teach a relevant course, but are interested in the book, you can order it from this site , call New Society Publishers at 800-567-6772, or order easily from any local or online store.
- The BWH has already been used in the following classes:
Responding to Social Problems
- Implementing Social Change
- Human Relations: Change Agent Skills
- Social Movements in the U.S.
- Social Conflict and Social Values
- Nonviolence and the Ethics of Social Action
- Introduction to Peace & Conflict Studies
- Sociology of Peacemaking
- Self and Consciousness
- Self and Modern Society
Here's what some students have to say:
"In all of my college career, never have I had to read a book that I found as potentially life altering as this one...I really found the suggestions the book contained to be very helpful. Everyone knows that they want to change the world, but never are we given resources and exact guidelines on how to do just that. I know I will continue to look to this book for help in planning my future." - Angela
"It shows to me that even the smallest actions can have some significant meaning, and in taking some of these actions, we can help to counteract the widespread anomie, alienation, and disenchantment in our society. ... Small actions such as these can help us to break from our routinized world and way of life, and make a positive difference." - Tom
"I feel like I need to begin by saying that this is a great book. There were so many things that I had thought about separately or in an individual context and never put together with other things. It was very eye opening and positive for me." - Noelle
"It has made me so much more alert and knowledgeable as to how I can make changes to make the world a better place. Thank you for requiring that we read this, it was my favorite part of the class!!" - Kate
"These actions worked to open my eyes to the possibilities that exist to fight rationalization and McDonalization. What I love about your book is the clear direction it gives you if you truly want to do something ... anything to make the world a better place. Like I said in class, one of my greatest frustrations is having the passion but not a direction to channel it in. This book provides that for me, and for that I am eternally grateful. After the day is done, it definitely makes me feel like a better, more useful person!" - Mindy
"I must say that I am a very cynical person so when I saw the eight progressive steps [to the cycle of hope] and how closely they coincided with my thoughts I knew the book had hit very close to home." - Jason
"Over the past semester, I have grown immensely as a person. It is an overwhelming sense of purpose that justifies my life. I think that sense of empowerment and resolve to create a better world is a rarity in many people. I feel lucky that I have been able to experience it and hope that I can somehow pass it on to someone else." - Bryan
"The Better World Handbook has become one of my favorite books. I sat down and read the whole thing because I loved seeing the perspective it gave. I even forced my dad to read it. - Andrea